In all my reorganizing, I almost took this off the list prematurely! As of 6-16, I had enough rejections/acceptances etc in that I could finally report on how I did for 2010.
- My 2nd full length book: sent it out about 8 times in various formats and then I head it back to continue to work on it. It is still out to a few places with no permanent home..yet
- At the close of 2010, I had only sent out a few photographs. I sent out four sets with one accepted so that was actually quite good.
- Chapbooks I have previously reported on because the upcoming Fat Girl finally found a home! I’m sending out a fiction chapbook this year.
- In non-fiction I submitted essays 34 times (many went out more than once of course!) with 5 accepted for a rate of 15% acceptance. I like that number. Although, I have very few essays that need to be submitted anymore and I haven’t really been writing any new ones . . .
- In the fiction category I had 38 submissions (again, many were sent out more than once) with 8 accepted for a really nice return of 21%. As with non-fiction, I haven’t been writing much creative prose so not sure how much will go out in 2011.
- On the poetry end I submitted 98 different sets of poems. I always record my poetry submissions in sets versus individual poems which makes running the numbers an interesting problem. I’m actually down on the number I sent out to below what I sent in 2008 and 2009, but I was more selective in a good way. I had 27 sets of poems (some “sets” in this sense were only one accepted) accepted for publication which gives me a 28% acceptance rate! I am THRILLED to see that number because my 2009 percentage was 12%. I’ve managed to inch up each year but I’m really amazed by this new number. I’m not sure how 2011 will pan out because I seem to be well below that amount this year (which is half over!)
I won’t be reported in on a regular basis about numbers of rejections etc (like I used to per week), but I’m still keeping records so I’ll let you know how it goes. It can be really eyeopening to keep these kinds of numbers so you see where you have been and where, perhaps. you are going.
As I finish up 2011, I want to continue working to find a final home for the second book. I’ve missed a few weeks but I want to keep as close as possible to sending out at least one submission a week in some genre. Then this time in 2012 (can you believe that!) I’ll report in again
Speaking of publications: I have a short essay in the new 234 Journal