I’ve been taking in so much wonderful information this week while I’ve had fewer appointments which means I have a back log of things I wanted to share and discuss so I thought I’d try to play a bit of catch up today as I have some requested blogs I want to post later this week and the first of next (and you hopefully know who you are if you have requested a topic!) So here are some mini reviews of what I have been watching and perhaps I’ll work in a reading one very very soon.
- Bag It is one of those documentaries that makes you wish you did a better job of not using as much plastic. It got me thinking: how much less oil could we use if we could somehow go back in time and use different materials for grab and go items?
- Then, if I wasn’t feeling guilty enough, came the beautifully filmed documentary The Harvest about migrant farm workers. Whereas the first documentary tells the story by using a narrator of sorts, “The Harvest,” lets the workers themselves tell the story without any voice from the film-maker except in how it is filmed.
- Since this list is leaning towards the “let’s try to change the world” theme I always watched the two episodes of Cold Chain Mission where Ewan McGregor continues his Unicef work by showing the cold chain of custody needed to get vaccines into some of the hardest to reach areas. Ewan, he is still totally a MAN in the best way.
- Then if you were going for some fiction and thoughts on storytelling with a point how about the indie film Spork which had a wonderful “Napoleon Dynamite” feel to it but from a more female perspective. If you don’t come away a little bit in love with the girl named Spork than you might have to be Sam on Season 6 of “Supernatural” (yep still watching it) and wonder if you have a soul.
- And how do we think? How about some Nova Science Now about the brain?
- Or how about how we think about things such as the color of skin in Nat Geo’s Skin?
- You could also watch a bit more satire about some of the ways we think in the film Visioneers
- Or maybe hope for some magic in Ondine which wasn’t the best movie I’ve every seen but started really, really well. Maybe I wanted some kind of “perfect” ending?
- Speaking of magicians, and on a sillier note, there is the British film Magicians from the comedy team Mitchell and Webb whose “OMG did I just laugh at that” BBC show Peep Show will be coming back with some more episodes (I’ve seen all the old ones so hurry up guys!)
- And on a completely unrelated note we watched the first season of Hollywood Treasure on Netflix which is like “Pawn Stars” but with movie memorabilia. If you had told me it originally had aired on the SyFy channel I’d have been like – what?
That only leaves a few items on my recently watched list that I wanted to mention and/or discuss with you guys. I’ll round out a few more next week I think. Hoping tomorrow to do a quote blog which I haven’t done in quite some time and then Friday we’ll have our regular share day where perhaps I can mention some of the books I’m dying to do some mini-reviews on.
I’m also considering making one day a week a question day. Maybe Tuesday? Would you guys be interested in that? You could suggest topics and/or I could pick one and we’d just post it and take questions? Let me know what you think and/or if you have any shows and/or movies to discuss.